Re: Fwd: Death of Orlanth

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_86Yzut3OnQX1xkkTLef6ViseMefQVtIiaMCT9TlUsS6KZDJOtmd6dB-OLfbY3wFIDrZC8GE>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:06:02 -0700

YGWV donald_at_F44CF2rIhUru-7JCzajt7xa7k7cO2k4-f6mr3tgT9lWqEiZLvMmc_h2OjTbDMx2YALlJjPwPRiNP81ZGafeD-uZdrQ.yahoo.invalid wrote:

I've come in on the middle of this discusion, but I gather it is about Orlanth is Dead.

> >(None of this explains Kolat and Valind losing power but not Urox.)
>
> I'm unhappy with one HQ affecting the connection to the god plane
> and the spirit plane. If the three worlds model has any meaning
> in Glorantha this should be impossible. Now there could be more
> than one HQ being done but why are the Lunars bothered about a few
> Kolating Shamans?

I am confused by this statement. I thought it's pretty clear that Kolat still has his power. Excerpts from OiD:

*Deities With Magic*

See */Hero Wars /*and */Storm Tribe /*for details of these deities.

/Major Deities/: Chalana Arroy, Elmal, Eurmal, Heler, Humakt, Issaries, Kolat (to an extent), Lhankor Mhy, Odayla, Urox, Yinkin.

*Kolat Rites*.

Huge numbers of people attend this, resulting in the kolatings being able to perform the so-called "21 charm." During the rites the shamans reach into a bag and pull out special fetishes for everyone attending. Everyone who can get one carries this, which has some kind of non-wind spirit stashed inside in case anyone needs some kind of last choke of luck. The charms are comparatively weak though, since most Kolating shamans were present at their own private rites on this day, busy defending the mobs from invisible assaults.

The gods are gone, but the spirits survive. Kolat, Orlanth's loyal ally, has sent his shamans to help.

Dozens of them prowl the countryside, selling their rapidly diminishing stock of hard-won charms and fetishes. No one refuses a chance to buy, and people learn that other shamans are here, too. Even their strange spirits are welcome to desperate folk.

Have I missed something here? Why is it being said Kola is without power?

---greg