Re: Size of the Clanking City

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_TNTjZ1JqWA5VgdDG7NuwRo5lgt5GsbAQtY4ywfZa7_ocWakp4YUskrq5WhQ5T_ZnyaJGocRq>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:53:20 +0100

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_9A_i2x6uHygnQ6DQR0WDICAtygVPSyQ9eqNIxpfdVfONwPrehwV6msQL5ZI7KLERy9QrxEBvDoI.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>SO concerning this one in particular, it is deliberate. The huge,
>overpopulation is on purpose. You are supposed to wonder where he food
>comes from.

Well, it worked. :-) Thanks for the explanation!

>No, but they get a huge amount brought in by ship. Yes, by ships,
>crammed with grain, dried meat, dried fruit, etc. And likely a large
>fishing fleet off shore.

The 'Clanking City' sourcebook implies that the docks are now inoperative because the siege has closed off all naval supply routes - which does imply the situation in the city is a lot more precarious than its rulers claim.

Unless, that is, the EWF agent providing the report in the book was exaggerating the success of the blockade? 'History of the Heortling People' does give more an impression of a land army encamped outside the city walls for ten years (Hmm. Where have I heard of something similar before?) rather than a tight blockade by land and sea...

And frankly I'm not sure the land-bound EWF and a bunch of Heortling Traditionalists would be enough to prevent the Middle Sea Empire maintaining naval communications with Zistorwal... though now I've got a mental picture of the Second World War supply convoys to Malta, but with dragon attacks instead of Stukas... :-)

>Not endless, but in fact this is (in my Glorantha) so---they have ways
>to create edible food in the underground city.

I bet the dwarfs are convinced that this was stolen from them...

Jeff:

>Speaking as someone who spends a fair bit of time digging up ancient
>cities, you'd be surprised at how big they can get and how little
>land is, sometimes, devoted to agriculture.

Interesting. I knew about Rome and the grain convoys from Egypt, but not that it was so widespread. (Though I suppose you could argue that a city is by definition a community that trades other services (including government/religion as well as manufactured goods) in return for food from a wider network of agricultural communities?).

Stephen