Re: Fwd: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_ccCykYG-vBii9CShNEBh4K8g7Bv15SwjY5bUQdYLEUiXaShE8bsDaeOL3vE7BtYSOiWcz
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:49:33 GMT

In message <4702F90A.3090406_at_jTVSQ4JNBdHaP4heDuDaX1K8fNAUwUrVE81EXv1ecEeKVS6eE8QMcdED1kacu5UiA0R5egp8K2id7ChMYg8fUep0Ppd7.yahoo.invalid> Greg Stafford writes:
>YGWV
>
>donald_at_lzZSr0LMa2xIQTjsEPUsoSVJsbcSbhzzd2ykxsvr3NjqvnODmlgR2mJ--76RANbsi0BXsHtCPreTJBoqYEs.yahoo.invalid wrote:
>
>I've come in on the middle of this discusion, but I gather it is about
>Orlanth is Dead.
>
> > >(None of this explains Kolat and Valind losing power but not Urox.)
> >
> > I'm unhappy with one HQ affecting the connection to the god plane
> > and the spirit plane. If the three worlds model has any meaning
> > in Glorantha this should be impossible. Now there could be more
> > than one HQ being done but why are the Lunars bothered about a few
> > Kolating Shamans?
>
>I am confused by this statement. I thought it's pretty clear that Kolat
>still has his power. Excerpts from OiD:

[snip]

>Have I missed something here? Why is it being said Kola is without power?

Page 43 of OiD after "No magic works if it comes from Orlanth, Ernalda or their subcults. None: no feats or affinities, no wyter speaks, no umbroli wind blows." We then get "Kolat's shamans can still use the spirits they have already bound, but when they try to contact others, they find nothing, not even spirit-air, a very absence of presence."

So whatever has happened affects not only the theists connection to storm gods on the god plane but the Kolating's connection to Kolat and other wind spirits on the spirit plane.

Now because of the nature of spirit magic the immediate loss of power is less but once a shaman has sold or used up his charms and fetishes he's in exactly the same position as an Orlanthi without his feats and affinities.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/