Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_cc_oktZBYPFXsAsAIM9YDrHvYJ5-VQACZi7XViEqtRHed7QtEFXufZ6LKjPxAC7XGwW>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:30:18 -0000

Jeff:
> > Further on there's a list of deities with
> > magic both other Lightbringers and unrelated gods.
> > Curiously Urox retains his magic when the other storm
> > gods don't and neither Ana Gor nor Maran lose their
> > magic. No mention is made of Asrelia, Ty Kora Tek or
> > Babeester Gor.
>
> That's interesting. The fact it is virtually ALL Storm Gods makes
me
> think it
> is a Pelorian myth, and NOT a Heortling myth.  (Or simply one we
> don't know
> very well/one that is no longer known to the Heortlings.)

If it was a Pelorian Myth then Doburdan would have been affected, being a Pelorian Storm God. He gets his powers indirectly from Umath via Entekos, his mother.

So, I tend to think that the deities affected derive their power through Orlanth directly. So, any of Orlanth's Storm Children would be affected, any Aspect of Orlanth and any cult of Orlanth-in-the- past, Orlanth-wearing-a-mask or Orlanth-with-a-different-name.

Cults such as Ana Gor, Maran Gor or Babeester Gor get their magics from other sources, in this case the Earth Goddesses. Although Babeester Gor is Ernalda's daughter, she was born after Ernalda died and has no connection with Orlanth, in fact she is strongest when the Earth is dead, or sleeping, so it would make sense that she retained her powers. The other Gor goddesses have similar properties and, in any case, derive their powers from Ernalda's mother/grandmother and not from Ernalda.

See Ya

Simon