Re: Death of Orlanth

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_BZtE4yeZkcmpkUsmM5kOLAiv9XTU7T5KKHSymbNdfpBW4rpgHVxnndbJAy2wL3OySP8>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:05:31 -0000

<snip>
>> found by Yinkin who licks him back to life. Orlanth then gives
>> Yinkin his last rations and continues his Lightbringers quest.
>> The official write us are almost always ambiguous that way.
>> It doesn't sound like Yinkin is dead at that point, and he's
>> strengthened by being given food.
>
> He wasn't dead at that point. Or he was, which is why he was in the
> Underworld.
>
> --Greg

Hmm... it sort of sounds like there isn't a clear point when yinkin would have died, at least not so that he'd have noticed. That's actually rather interesting. We have conflicting myths about Orlanth, Humakt, Eurmal and the Deathsword... who is dead at what stage, and so on. Parhaps Yinkin was so weak with hunger, and so cold, that he was both dead and alive, or rather walkin in the land of the dead (most of the world was already dead afterall) while a spark of life still lingered in his body. (Shroedinger's cat analoogue unintentional, in case people get confused).

That would give a nice mystery to the cult, and parhaps something a clever (or desperate) heroquester could use. It sounds like there is the possibility for some perilous underworld quests, and parhaps even a psychopomp function (untapped) to be found there.

  -Adept