Re: Death of Orlanth

From: bergjohn12 <bergjohn12_at_7JEw7K0Y16vQSxYBDjg6zJkYxdLmxpsCiELKoXBBrdZ0VLIIJEFVtRq2zZ0K28BRf>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:27:11 -0000

> If it was a Pelorian Myth then Doburdan would have been affected,
> being a Pelorian Storm God. He gets his powers indirectly from Umath
> via Entekos, his mother.

It seems to me most lunar myths and references don't seem to indicate the Red Goddess wants to "kill" Orlanth; instead they seem to refer to "healing" Orlanth or (more significantly) "chaining" the "last rebel" (for his own good of course). As Umath was chained ("Orlanth ... saw his father suffering and chained between the earth and sky") it seems that the lunars want to do to the son as they did to the father. Lunars myths seem to chain rebel gods all the time: Alanthore by Hon-eel, Hwarin Dalthippa subjugating river gods, even Danfive Xaron by Teelo Estara. I don't think Lunars would want to do any harm to Ernalda (aka "she who waits" to the Honeel and Red Earth worshipers). The Fimbul winter seems to me also a result of unintentional consequences that wouldn't have been foreseen. After all, the Lunar armed forces would have had to slog through the snow just like the rebels.