The Great Darkness

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_0yGWcceZb_jsUsYzBGjtcGdwxcxq9t9_P5yuP9j-bbhII4YdhLTaOEYXbnebDjOrEOGcVhh>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:22:31 -0700

The Great Darkness

The discussion on who might have survived the Great Darkness provokes me to make a couple of statements that might help people understand it better.

The Great Darkness was the End of the World. Everything ended. All the differentiaton that had occurred during Creation disappeared. Life and Death were one. There was not even really Darkness, except in the sense of Absence. Everything went away. Everything.

Who is said to have survived---Orlanth, Urox, Elmal, Enalda.

Orlanth? Sure, he "volunteered" for it. But he's in the land of the dead Code for "he's dead."

Urox? Reduced to be just the anti-devil and then is "helpless." Code for "he's dead."

Elmal? Reduced to the cull flickering light of Dagon Pass. Which has collapsed into the Underworld. Code for "he's dead."

Ernalda? "She's just sleeping." Code for "she's dead."

NO GODS SURVIVED. Oh yea, Heort! Let's see, he went to the end of existence and confronted the Void. Code for "he's dead."

And then...

A miracle. The impossible occurs.

The Great Compromise---all the deities, spirits and essences of the universe cooperate.

I Fought We Won---one person resists and many experience it.

/Something/ occurs.

The world is reborn.

What happened there? Well, you have to experience it to know. There is no explanation, no game mechanic.

Creation occurs.

Something from nothing.

Dawn.