Re: Size of Glorantha

From: danhalberd <dan_at_NaFSzgQ0RUXFLZYjXpyYkfJ4quX1OaGF0SnMTcpTQHvCtQPJjrOLNCLeW8qUB-cZC48ArqO_>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:05:21 -0000

Fair enough. I'll go with this scale for the Lunar Empire. So - using the current map in ILH1 and on the website but just changing the scale OK? So using the map in ILH1 :-
Current East-West line from westernmost edge Bindle to easternmost Oraya a bit more than 15cm = approx 550 miles. So to get this distance to 1000 miles we need to nearly double the scale of the map. The North-South line from northernmost Karasal to southermost Tarsh is approx. 17cm = approx 600 miles so to stop the map distorting this distance wouold become about 1200 miles. The distance from Northenmost Karasal to southermost Sylila (the southermost satrapy) would be about 900 miles. So I guess the Lunar Empire not including the provinces would then be around 1000 miles by 1000 miles.

So all in all multiply the scale of the maps of the Lunar Empire in ILH1 and on the website by 2. Does that sound OK?

I think the map of Dragon Pass in Dragon Pass, Land of Thunder seems to at the same scale. If we roughly double the scale on that Sartar will then be:
On the map of Sartar in Dragon Pass Land of Thunder Sartar is - from the edge of Snakepipe Hollow to just south of Wilmskirk is directly North South approx 17cm = 77 miles x 2 = 144 miles. from a line from the edge of Upland Marsh to the edge of Prax directly East to West is 13.5 cm = 65 miles x 2 = 130 miles.

How does this sound? Is it close enough?

As to the population I'll leave it alone then. At least it'll still match the population of Sartar which is low as well. Would the figure of 7 330 000 for the Lunar Empire be for all the population, all the adult population or all the heads of households?

The population of Sartar in 1617 - about 160 000 aged over 5 not including the Far Place and the Pol Joni - does this sound about right?