Re: Size of Glorantha

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_zvk8MqPZ-pDMmZs3Yfha1rAoLdXvP7JQ39jC8TDJEnEtQ5m9hHvxwKJcDx8PqaOXzE5>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:49:30 -0000

Dan Halberd:

> The maps I am working from is at
> http://www.glorantha.com/new/images/Lunar_Map_Final.jpg
>
> it is on the Issaries website

Unfortunately, although very pretty, this is not very accurate when compared with the old maps.

The most consistent set of maps are the set of Dragon Pass/Nomad Gods/Griffin Mountain/Dagori Inkarth which can pretty much be laid side by side.

Apart from that, the Holy Country map in the RQ Companion is the most accurate detailed map of its time. It mostly agrees with the map from the RQ2 rulebook which mostly agrees with the aforementioned maps.

If you copy/reduce/enlarge all these maps together, you get a patchwork map that is pretty good for scale and position.

The general map of the Lunar Empire/Pelorian Basin in (I think) Wyrms Footnotes/Heroes is a good basis to work from, as well, as it gives the Lunar Empire a reasonable shape to it.

The Dorastor Map is fine for detail but is too far away to be of much help. The maps from Genertela:Crucible of the Hero Wars tie up reasonably well with the Lunar Empire Map and add some detail.

But, the area around Dragon Pass is the most detailed and accurate and has the most maps.

As for scale, I use the map from RQ2 and take it at about 30 miles to the inch, which makes the Lunar Empire about 800 iles wide. But, the scale on the RQ2 map actually says 1cm=10km, which I always took as a mistake and regarded it as 1cm=10 miles. If 1cm=10km is accurate then the Lunar Empire becomes about 1200 miles across, which is probably more likely.

> This makes Sartar approx. 66 miles by 99 miles. Compare this with
> Devon (English county) 69 miles by 65 miles, Ireland 300 by 200
> miles, Wales 150 miles by 110 miles, United Kingdom 600 by 400
> miles....see what I mean.

It's probably more like 200 miles across at its widest point, from the Praxian March to the Skyreach Mountains, although I'm not sure if they count as Sartar or just Dragon Pass - they are probably in Tarsh.

You are better off taking some averages over a lot of maps and working out the distances that way.

Greg Stafford:
> > Ah, this is from the Map of the Lunar Empire? Holy mackerel! I
had
> no
> > idea it was so far off.
> > It ought to be about 1000 miles wide, from the Esel to the Arcos
> rivers.

The Map of the Lunar Empire is quite inaccurate, compared to earlier sources, unfortunately. I personally wouldn't use it as a source of other maps.

See Ya

Simon