Re: Gloranthan warfare

From: donald_at_m_IZyXil0yAYlSpNXV3WGPfoOgwQtXv39RqdeV2t3u60_107kWLcR_0nSACBOJMGyNOg3
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:32:30 GMT

In message <fehl50+cmnt_at_eGroups.com> "Ivan" writes:

>Hello all. A few may recognize me from rpg.net. I've played runequest
>and heroquest for a long time (RQ was the game I grew up on), and
>lately have been working on a small for-fun-project to play with my
>local gaming group.
>
>a set of mini's rules for gloranthan combat. So the question of course
>is... how does warfare work in glorantha ?
>
>Old runequest battles were fairly sprawling affairs.. a few guys
>slugging it out with spears and axes, spells zipping across the
>field.. scouts skulking around the perimeter in cover, slinging stones
>and loosing arrows.
>
>But is it ever really detailed on a larger scale, how warfare works
>and how it differs from historical warfare ?
>
>And failing that, what suggestions do you have ? Im mostly looking at
>a "warband" sort of level (30-100 guys) but anything is welcome

The glorwar Yahoo group covers this. It has gone quiet in the last year or so but there's lots of stuff in the archives including a couple of draft sets of rules based on the HQ system. I also know some people use HOTT rules, there was a big display/game at the last Continuum. Then there's some long out of print boardgames (WBRM, Nomad Gods and Dragon Pass) which give an insight but can be out of date.

The differences between Gloranthan and historical battles fall into three catagories.

Firstly flyers - there are many individuals and some units which have the ability to fly or leap and attack from above. That changes a lot of tactics. Most of the other unit magic just strengthens the fighting capability of the unit.

Secondly there are magical units with all sorts of wierd and wonderful abilities. Some like the Lunar colleges are magicians trained to work together while others like dragons are magical beings.

Finally you have heros, individuals with a small group of followers who are the equal of whole regiments.

My personal view is that Gloranthan warfare is heroic in style. Combat is between enemy unit leaders with their followers adding to the leader's abilities. So I like the rules to reflect this rather than the historical approach of concentrating on the units capabilities.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/