Re: EWF Trade

From: donald_at_CarIh_AMIb8fgmo4toUj120w_uKF9EUjfaRP4SPBK5RLdSGTx-ftFeFtfkPH6gqaBjBjD
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:50:11 GMT

In message <ff21gp+ui0g_at_eGroups.com> "Jeff Richard" writes:

>> The EWF is an empire just like the Lunar one so will have goods
>> travelling from the outer parts to the centre to pay taxes. What
>> those goods are is going to depend on what's produced in the
>> particular area.
>
>That's not exactly right - the EWF is a very unusual empire. The EWF
>is held together by the web of connections between a draconic "temple"
>or "school" and mundane society. Master mystic at the top, favored
>students learning from and catering to the master, aspirants below
>trying to learn from and cater to favored students. Many of the
>aspirants are priests or other magic workers. And the temple can call
>upon the favored students to resolve problems.
>
>These individuals are the glue that links clans, tribes, temples, etc.
> There is no true central authority, although the most powerful
>mystics - the Eternal Dragon Ring (and who are worshipped as gods
>throughout the lands under the control) - do have servants that take
>care of the their mundane affair.

There may not be a central authority as such but the leaders are all present at the Dragon's Eye. So there will be a support system for them and their senior followers there. That will requires taxes to support (possibly called tithes, donations or whatever). Plus a town will grow up around there to cater for all the visitors who have a need or right to consult the leadership. So there will be a flow of goods in that direction.

I can see the quantities being a lot less than a more conventional empire but it will still happen even if the most advanced mystics no longer have material needs.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/