Re: Mississippi and the Oslir Valley (was Re: EWF Trade)

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_K95j8_XLrMuMO5PugI2aRhACipkyfqeGOn44qoE6557HXO7c1ltP35FvrOkCdEgCGIoY6U2>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:07:45 -0700

YGWV jorganos wrote:

> Now how important are cattle and plow for riverine Dara Happa?
In my Glorantha, not much for the riverine folk. But...
> Bulls have a cultic importance as sacrifices, so there must
> have been cattle herding very early on in Dara Happan culture.
> IMO they adopted the Finger Goddess methods for a dependable
> source of meat and milk, then, with the male deities aquiring
> rule, the bull sacrifice became part of demonstrating their
> superiority.

Yes.

> The ox-drawn plow appears to have been introduced to Peloria
> by or with the Tawari (Fronelan cattle folk). It isn't a specific
> Dara Happan element.

Correct.

> Lodrili cultivation tools on the Gods Wall are shovel and mattock.
> Invaluable for irrigation work, irrelevant for plowing. Hence my
> assumption that the Dara Happan agriculture would (or can still)
> work without ox-drawn plows.

Yes, along the rivers.

> Pelorian dry farming away from the rivers is a different
> proposition. It is described as a different culture in Genertela
> Book, though - dominated by Dara Happan cities and nobles, but not
> originally Dara Happan. Maybe the bull sacrifice was also a means
> to prove superiority of the wet-farming supported cities over the
> dry-farming communities of Peloria.
>
> Point of these deliberations: Dara Happan culture appears to be
> dependent on neither metal use nor cattle-driven agriculture. It
> might as well be a New World civilization, with human labour
> being the single most important productive factor.

One point, though: the plow-driven culture has been integrated into the Dara Happan culture, probably in the Dawn Age. So you find the river beds are irrigated rice fields, but the higher lands and hillsides are plowed.

--Greg