Re: 2nd Age Languages

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_CVKNFXSpUSkPKhfQ0f_ZZBOiRcoHevgCyLgp6TDQbgXZzUmC_m5nHH30dV8b-pYkFYcZ>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:49:09 -0000

> What languages were spoken in the Dragon Pass area prior to the
> Dragonkill?

Heortling would have been predominant throughout Dragon Pass prior to the Dragonkill - remember Kerofinela was the core of the ancient Kingdom of the Heortlings, which later became the Kingdom of Orlanthland, and later the EWF. During the EWF period, Auld Wyrmish would be increasingly used for ritual and formal purposes - especially in written records. However, the language of the ordinary human in Dragon Pass would be an archaic version of Heortling.

> I am guessing it is still Theyalan dialects, but probably very
> different than Third age languages in the are. Is this correct and is
> there anything published on this?

Check out the History of the Heortling Peoples - it does not directly address the issue of language, but it shows you where the Heortlings were. Prior to the EWF, the Heortlings were in Tarsh, Holay, Aggar and even in some in Saird and Talastar. However, during the late Second Age, things got very mixed up, turbulent, and confused. Prior to the Dragonkill, there was probably at least as much Talastaring influence (along with a significant Ralian influence) amongst the Orlanthi north of Kerofin as Heortling.

> Mongoose has pretty much ignored the subject of languages in its'
> Second Age material. I imagine for the most part languages are similar
> to the Third Age, but Dragon Pass is an obvious exception.

Well, for one thing there is no New Pelorian in the Second Age! The Jrusteli dialect of Western will be much more influential, Elvish will be spoken in the forests of Rist (since there will be forests of Rist), and until after 940, Carmanian will not be as widespread as it is in the Third Age.

Does this help?

Jeff