Re:Various Orlanthi scripts

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_M5Rp3tR5vF5gT8OfZhX9mbYvA8wqaneW0SMlHzY7sn9EdzbmCqtjGl3-zY613XRfIfN5g>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:46:05 -0700 (PDT)

> Well, based on recent discussions "cat scratching"
> is an syllabic semi-alphabet
> (or possibly an abjad or abugidas)

For those of us who didn't translate Minoan Linear A for a high school science fair, could you translate that into English? I know what a syllabary is, but abjad or abugidas? And checking the Wikitionary (a rather impeechable source, granted), I am not certain that there is a difference between them and a semi-alphabet.

Also, from what non-heortling script were they borrowed? Given that Heortling is normally assumed to be a Celto-Germanic sort of tongue (with CVC and VC patterns, and vowels important), the above would be as ill-fitting as Linear B was to Mycynean Greek (which was clearly adapted from Linear A, the native Minoan script for Minoan tongue).

Or are Spirit Speech and GodSpeech entirely unrelated to Orlanthi dialects, and preserved in the cat scratchings, while the Talastari were given a more sensible script (based on the language requirements) by the Theyalan missionaries (ala St Kyril and Methodius)?

Thank you for any illumination (in the non-bad sense, here).

Do You Yahoo!?