Re:Various Orlanthi scripts

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_1ZQNX5gzqMSzgEcB76OWVzlNo0tjYgeQqjBgl8VGLVl4peJMFFPlvKqGeOdDP6F5RIwG>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:08:57 -0000

> > Spirit Speech, Storm Speech and God Speech are RQ3 rules constructs.
>
> Well they were around way before RQ3. They might have been mentioned
> in Wyrms Footnotes, but were defintely there for RQ2, perhaps even
> earlier in concept.

I should have said RQ2. As part of a discussion that might end up in a future Moon Design Publication Greg recently emphasized to me that these "languages" should be magical feats, and are "absolutely not" languages that go in the Speak (Language) slot.

> Storm Speech and the other Elemental Tongues are a bit more
> complicated. I personally like the idea of the Elemental Tongues as
> being the language of the Gods of a particular element/power.

They are feats or magical abilities - Speak to Wind or Understand Winds, but not mundane languages. Maybe Heortling has some inexplicable connection to that magical feat, but not in the way described or used in RQ2/3. And certainly the way they were depicted in RQ 2/3 was just plain wrong. But then again, a lot of the stuff in RQ 2/3 really does not model Glorantha.

> > I do think that the Talastari were given their script by the
> > Theyalans. BTW, Greg and I have done a fair amount of thinking about
> > the Talastarings recently, and I hope to post some of that in the
> near
> > future. Some very interesting stuff......
>
> Sounds good.

Thanks - here's tiny draft snippet from what Greg and I have been playing around with and is subject to much change:

"The oldest name of Orlanth in Talastar is Viskuranth ("Son of the Spike") - this is the Orlanth that lives on Top of the World, rescued the Great Goddess Ir by killing Emperor Yelm. He then received Kingship of the Gods from the Great Goddess Ir and lives on the Top of the World. Viskuranth is associated with the Ram and Thunder."

If folk are interested, I can even post a little Second Age Talastaring cultural information...

Jeff