No dummies in Darkspeech

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_Ak6yA7fpz7a99RBJIzp7lc92ttHv75HgUQAQe_PZD4tiyp55IzlsJUu0F8mUXkw>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 12:37:16 -0700 (PDT)

     Just heard an interesting bit on 'Quirks and Quarks', the CBC radio science show. Apparently, our brains buy into ventriloquism because we use a pre-programmed shortcut to link sound and sight before the brain even gets to work on the situation. Another example of this is an experiment in which a mismatched AV shows mouth movements of a 'ga-ga-ga' sound, while the audio says 'ba-ba-ba'. Combined, we'll hear this as 'da-da-da', instead. Interesting.

     So, we were thinking that trolls just don't 'get' puppet shows or ventriloquism acts. Their acute sense of hearing probably always pinpoints the true source of the sound. The wiring doesn't function the same way.

Alison

Do You Yahoo!?