Re: 2nd Age Languages

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_hMEI_KV8w2YPyhjZXFSfrh-i1zqRsvQ9mpEiooLhnJqMDhCje01O7Lm54Cfh8L15xg1>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:10:34 -0000

rurik_runespear:

> But next question is about Jrusteli. Based on RQ3's Genertela
material
> (is there another source as comprehensive anywhere?) all of the
> Western languages are strongly related to Brithini (I imagine
> Brithrini is to the Western languages as Latin is to Romance
> languages) - but of course there is no mention of Jrusteli.

I'd have said that Brithini was derived from the original language of the people of the Lands of Logic in the West. Close, but still descended.

> Is Jrusteli similiar to Brithrini? Is it a 'root' language of other
> Western languages as they spread their influence?
>
> Another possibility is that it is very closely related to Seshnegi,
> perhaps even more or less the same language in the Second age.

Originally, it was probably Seshnegi, but would have been changed slightly because of the time differences, the different waves of settlers, contact with indiginous natives and also contact with others from the Middle Sea Empire.

What would be interesting would be to see how the Western languages are related. (Interesting to me, anyway.)

They are all written using the Western Script, or at least they all used to be, so we'd be looking at spoken languages, I assume.

See Ya

Simon