Re: Holy days and High Holy days

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_DLbtDTgytvagqg6w60ITYy9DC4jPtIFn0DvsXeBnOD3iJNCzuxRulVktDwwPCTbav6Ek>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:50:03 -0000

> What goes on at a typical occurrence of one of these ceremonies?

Here is an abridged description from Thunder Rebels.

"Ceremonial Procedure
Orlanthi ceremonies take "all day." The ceremony also includes the preceding night and sometimes the following night as well. For priests, godtalkers, and their assistants, work began several days earlier as they planned the ceremony, prepared the area, and made sure the proper people and goods were present.

The ceremony starts at sunset when the priests and god-talkers start the invocations. Devotees of the primary deity are always present at this time.

Anyone else is welcome, and the pious always show up. Prayers and songs begin, for they are pleasing to the deities. Beautiful clothing and resplendent artifacts attract their attention. Dancing starts. Opening sacrifices are made. These rites continue to sunrise.

For everyone else, ceremonies begin at dawn. The worshippers go to the temple where the leaders stand in the center, with the devotees and other participants in a circle around them. The initiates of the other deities stand in one or more circles around the center. The worshippers pray and sing, dance and make morning sacrifices as a continuation of the ceremonies conducted throughout the night.

During the day, the ceremonial leaders incarnate their deities as they reenact the myth that established the rite. For a period during the day, the initiates actually enter the God World. Orlanthi men do so while they fly overhead and Ernaldan women when they are standing still. The ceremony goes on, continued by the other participants, with onlookers never able to tell exactly when the participants are in both worlds at once.

At the end of the ritual, the initiates return from the God World to the temple with songs and invocations similar to those that called the deities in the first place. When everyone is back and the gods have been appeased, the ceremony ends. Finally, the leaders withdraw or enclose the sacred space within the precincts of the temple, and thank and dismiss the deities. The magical appearances disappear, and the ceremony ends.

Afterwards, everyone shares in the bounty of the gods by eating the feast prepared by them. The meat comes from the sacrificial animals. Long ago, Orlanth rejected the meat as the portion for the gods, who are pleased with the burnt bones, skin, and offal."

BTW, the Book of Heortling Deities has an excellent article on exactly this subject.

And here is an outsider's description of a Holy Day ceremony from the Book of Heortling History:

"During the spring, Hawalis and I were permitted to observe a Hendriking ceremony at Nidham, although we were strictly forbidden against making any noise or gesture that might offend the pagan gods. The chief priestess traveled from her big wooden temple in the village to Nidham, carried in a chariot driven by cows and accompanied by the women who sang and danced in her wake. The men followed behind, parading a small herd of cattle, pigs and barnyard fowl. I recorded part of the men's song:

We sing of rich-haired Ernalda, mother and magician. Queen of the gods is she, surpassing all in beauty: Wife of loud-thundering Orlanth
Glorious one whom all the gods revere and honor even as Orlanth delights in thunder.

The women gathered atop the stone of Nidham, and the men stayed outside, watching. The fiercest of the Hendriking men were appointed watch guards: they bore ready arms and wore helmets with two red feathers. It was very difficult to see the women, but I could tell that they were colorfully attired and many wore gold jewelry. Some even wore fanciful masks. At the center, seated upon a high wooden chair was the chief priestess, who was given gifts of beer, wine, flowers and fruits by the women, while the men sang a strange chant. The priestesses scattered crushed grain to the animals and then killed them. All the women performed a great dance and the men sang. Hawalis saw three gods enter the dancing grounds, although I saw them not, for I was distracted by the strange weather that whipped wind into my face, yet did not seem to bother the dancers. The ceremony was ended with a great feast atop the stone of Nidham, although Hawalis and I refused to eat any of the unclean food."

Hope this helps -

Jeff