Re:Various Orlanthi scripts

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_PDw7cgmvo-ocUFt46QNcsxKZj9-0Xmvz5EkfKm7zaBEFAM0fnt_-_et0jjkVt7g359a2>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:48:40 -0000

Possibly. However, I tend to think that dog scratching (which I have been calling "Kanvulvretan") was remembered only at Deksarhill (on the Upper Black Eel - the capital of the Infithtelli). However, it became popular amongst the Heortlings that settled in Saird, Terarir, Talastar - and most importantly, Dorastor. I think it became the main script of the Dorastans and thus of the HCLG.

> > And both catscratching and dogscratching are NOT related to
> > Dara Happan script.
> That was hardly my first guess, actually. Were they at all related to
> each other? It sounds like they are not, except in the most tangential
> fashion. Is the Heortling tongue related to Talastari, for that
> matter, or do they just share some of the same roots for names of
their gods?

I'm sure at some mythic point in the Storm Age, all Orlanthi spoke the same language. But I am pretty certain that even in the early First Age, Talastaring and Heortling was mutually intelligible at least to some extent (remember the story about the Theyalan Missionaries to the Hagolings).

One thing to keep in mind - Heortling culture is not so much defined by a shared language as it is by a shared intiation rite and shared religion. Although the Talastarings worship Orlanth and Ernalda (although they sometimes use different names for them and have some very different subcults), few Talastarings follow the Second Son initiation rites of the Heortlings (maybe about one in six do). Many Talastarings follow the initiation rites of Hagodereth or the Nine Sacred Ancestors, or something else altogether.

Does this help?

Jeff