Re: Yanafal Tarnils & Humakt

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_JdJp_dAX-a4zAuyCOFHDv7Qw-0_ytiF-BVHF97cAJBaDYZEcTHv43vRoecgD4Th>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:45:45 -0000

> Do they? The Carmanian cultural keyword lists "sword and shield" as
one
> of the abilities. I had assumed that this meant a straight sword,
with
> the new-fangeled lunars adopting the curved scimitar. Anyone know for
> certain, one way or the other?

Certainly that has always been my working assumption, that the scimitar -- really closer to a sabre -- derives from the khopis (Greek machete-like sword) of Dara Happa and was taken up by YT both for symbolic reasons and also because of his break with straight-swording Humakt.

On the subject of the Carmanian Humakt, the non-canon but Martin Laurieapproved  affinities (in The Thieves Arm, p. 16) are Battle, Combat, Death -- to the Carmanians, while Humakt is of course an honourable warrior, his primary function is as the great divider, not his truth aspect.

All the best

Mark