Re: Holy days and High Holy days

From: donald_at_z4KNTt7fi52Mhb13dKmH5SQYXRZhZtwx_btyfdjP5IEcUAmaLzenNfuGgTgCo1787QWP1
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 03:05:09 GMT

In message <fgqpko+t68p_at_eGroups.com> "Gerry Crowe" writes:

>However, that leads me on to another thing...what happens if a cultist
>can't make a holy day. Say he's stuck out in the middle of the Praxian
>desert, or on a boat out at sea, can he still perform the appropriate
>ceremonies by himself? Presumably he can try, but would he still find
>himself participating on a lesser scale, or would he simply go through
>the motions for his own spiritual wellbeing, without actually
>communing with his god? What would be the likely impact of that on
>him...I guess he would feel a real sense of loss, as though something
>very important in his life was missing, which in fact it probably is.

If he's an initiate he'll not only perform them but probably succeed. Theism, particularly as practiced by the Heortlings, does not require Godi or devotees. Devotees are better at emulating their god than initates and Godi are better trained at performing the rituals which is why a clan would prefer them to lead holy day rituals. Someone who is only a lay member would be cut off but that's unusual among Heortlings.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/