Re: Yanafal Tarnils & Humakt

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_mr7JNpyroRJUas_M_qvCgKBdBX0QGJ_Zv2m0U0dKXoooy_gkkf1GUA21XqLVGs2puwe>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:36:22 -0000

Gerry Crowe:

> What about a recreation of YT's victory over Humakt - while the
> Humakti's might not "celebrate" that as such, would they still
regard
> it as a significant event, and perhaps try to recreate it in such a
> way as to minimise the damage done? (sounds more like a HQ though).
> That way, when the YT player arrives, he is destined to be there and
> must take the place of YT in the contest.

HeroQuest/Ritual Challenge/Mythic Re-Enactment - they are all the same really.

YT vs Humakt is interesting because Humakt was without his Warband/Companions who had chased off the Young Elementals whereas YT had all his boys with him. They fought to a standstill (according to the Yanafali) or Humakt killed Yanafal Tarnils who then came back to life and cheated, acording to the Humakti. (Based on old sources, this may well have changed)

Of course, most re-enactments of this are done in single combat so the YT do not have the advantage of numbers yet they still have the advantage of being able to come back if things go bad.

> Or do these things just not work that way?

Yes, things can work that way.

In my opinion, Humakti try to kill Yanafali in this re-enactment because they think this weakens YT. However, if the Yanafali selfresurrect  then they are actually reinforcing that aspect of YT. "What does not kill us permanently makes us stronger".

Certainly, I can see a group of Humakti setting up a ritual in Tourney Altar where they pull in local YT cultists to fight. They would each pair off in a series of duels, or perhaps a series of concurrent duels. They could use the "Humakt Fought Everyone at the Tourney Altar" myth to pull people in and the "Humakt Fights the Renegade Yanafal Tarnils" myth to force the Yanafali to fight.

I shouldn't think the local Lunars would be that happy, though, and would probably discourage this, especially if the Humakti have a habit of doing the ritual, pulling in some mid-ranking officers, killing them and repeating this every so often. In fact, the Humakti may well find that once or twice, their ritual would pull in some very willing and very able Yanafali who are expert at this kind of thing.

See Ya

Simon