Re: North Pent

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_8r1_oNeVb6qG_vG47ozieqUDKss6W2z4l__yFmNeQop1hXUj8R7pE5KCkd_N7i9xi2h>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:35:50 -0000

Simon Phipp:

> How far does Valind's Glacier go across Pent?

None of the maps I am aware that show lands this far north show the Glacier, so it's really up for debate. Although, if the edge of the Glacier continues in more or less the same line as it does on the standard Genertela maps, it doesn't go anywhere near Pent.

> I was always under the impression that the North was cold because of
> Valind and his Glacier, nit because it is in the North. If you go
> northwards but don't go to Valind's Glacier, is there any reason why
> it has to be cold there?

The lands far north of Pent are called 'the Winter Wastes of Valind', so that god is surely powerful there. That doesn't necessarily mean it is covered by his Glacier - he's allowed more than one sort of cold terrain, I think. I suspect that the Winter Wastes are more a sort of deathly cold desert, where there just isn't enough moisture to form the great ice sheets that compose a glacier.

> What happens if you go from kralorela and travel North
> though the Kingdom of Ignorance and Pent? You eventually reach
> Altinela, which I've always thought was warm. Is there anything in
> between?

Altinela is actually more or less due north of Fronela - which is how Snodal got there. The warmth there is presumably a local magical effect created by the Altinae. There are quite substantial lands between that and the Winter Wastes of Valind, including a major mountain range north of the White Sea. Some of this region is, of course, under the Glacier, but it's quite plausible that some of it isn't. In which case, it's never been described in even the vaguest terms that I'm aware of. Plausibly, it's still part of Valind's domain and appropriately chilly, but there could be just about anything you want there.

Or the Glacier could just stretch on until it peters out in the desert of the Winter Wastes.

> Along Valind's Glacier there will be ice, but what about when
> Valind's Glacier ends?

North of the Glacier, and north-east of Altinela, lie the Mountains of the Sky, perhaps the largest range in Glorantha. I'd guess that proximity to Valind's realm and their high altitude combine to keep them pretty cold and icy. The narrow strip of lowland beyond borders Sramak's River, and may well be somewhat warmer, although the chill of the current that flows down into Kahar's Sea on the other side suggests that these lands are probably still rather icy.

You know, I'm going to attempt to draw a new map of this, and submit it to the glorantha.com website. I'll get onto it...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic