Re: North Pent

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Pg90DWmsXjyLj2d3hdZSPz5T13C-XFsrRNB-AXPQkSr6vFug6MsuAxsEe0Z-qUdQo7ZVveR>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:55:38 -0800

YGWV ttrotsky2 wrote:

Simon Phipp:

> None of the maps I am aware that show lands this far north show the
> Glacier, so it's really up for debate.

This discussion has caused me to dig out old maps. They aren't as complete as published materials, but I will see if they can be scanned and posted to the web site for reference.

> The lands far north of Pent are called 'the Winter Wastes of Valind',

One of my maps shows that the entire north used to be covered with the glacier. When the chaos horde entered the world they came from the north, and the map shows that they broke/melted/destroyed the ice where they marched, and that the eastern ice shelf (which extended over the oceans there) broke off and was set adrift.

> Altinela is actually more or less due north of Fronela

> The warmth there is presumably a local magical
> effect created by the Altinae. There are quite substantial lands
> between that and the Winter Wastes of Valind, including a major
> mountain range north of the White Sea. Some of this region is, of
> course, under the Glacier, but it's quite plausible that some of it
> isn't. In which case, it's never been described in even the vaguest
> terms that I'm aware of. Plausibly, it's still part of Valind's domain
> and appropriately chilly, but there could be just about anything you
> want there.
>
> Or the Glacier could just stretch on until it peters out in the desert
> of the Winter Wastes.

We always need to be careful of maps that include the edges of the world. Those regions ae vague and unmapped, and they tend to shift in Gloranthan reality too.

> - which is how Snodal got there.

Neither Snodal nor I have ever been sure of exactly sure how he got across the apparently limitless expanse of the glacier to Altinela. I think these days he was rescued by some Altinea who found him during one of their outings.

> You know, I'm going to attempt to draw a new map of this, and submit
> it to the glorantha.com website. I'll get onto it...

I'll post what I can scan. The maps tend to be done in pretty light pencil. Elaborations ae, as always, welcome.

--greg