Re: Black Saint Vivamort

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_SRexOnU3-ge9zJhuy11VHfn68gH6VIZTIramHM6OMMMW8PHEoK386uJCDPaE96c0bfF>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:25:50 -0000

> Vampirism, I'm sure, isn't unknown in the West, but a theistic cult
> would be somewhat an oddity (though I understand they do exist). I'm
> wondering, are there dark/malevolent entities that revieve veneration,
> or something that uses the mechanism of veneration.
>
> An entity like Vivamort should prpbaböu have a presense on the
> sorcerous planes, no matter what it's true magic form is... even if
> this presense is just a twisted shadow. Parhaps there is an entity, or
> node or "saint" that can be venerated, and from where a sorceous
> vampire can draw spells of blood, hunger and unlife?

There's a little bit about this in Lords of the West 2, although it doesn't go into great detail. I think that even in the West, not all vampires are the same - that is, that there may be more than one sort of bloodsucking undead, conflated together under the term 'vampire'. After all, there is more cultural difference between Loskalm and Seshnela than most people from central Genertela would realise, so why should they have identical undead monsters?

With that in mind, the specific type of vampire described in LotW2 gains most of its powers directly, as innate abilities. If they come from anywhere, its Hell, or perhaps a Short World. However, they can study magic, using forbidden tomes much as the living sort of evil sorcerers do. So no, there isn't, for that type of vampire, a 'Vampire Node' or 'Vampire Saint'... but there are nodes associated with downright evil grimoires (one of which is described in LotW1), and vampires will be among the beings who use them.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic