Re: The Old Man and the Feldichi

From: jorganos <joe_at_yJR_hVo-0OCPVLX_X8P7R4AagIvHJZqKz_e12gkb_esBc7wgIQ6UIgyDuhJdIN7q-g35eR86>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:44:18 -0000

Me:
>> I'm speaking of the Gold Wheel Dancers.

Jeff:
> A good folk to bring up - one of the more mysterious entities in
> Glorantha. Frankly, I don't even have a good handle on them!

Who has?

They appear to be a rare surviving oddity from the Green Age - that is surviving to the Dawn Age - but that's pretty much all we know about them.

They do play an important part in getting folk united in the Unity Battle and the World Council of Friends, and they might be one of the motivators to move the Council to Dorastor.

They make only one appearance in the Modern Age, when Urrgh the Ugly begins worshipping his hoard, and reanimates Pinchining, who then acts as captain of the Cradle for Gonn Orta.

This suggests they were allies of the Elder Giants of the Eastern Rockwoods.

>>> Other stories widespread among the survivors of Talastar call the
>>> husband of Dorasa, "the Betrayer," or The Evil One," and also
>>> Eurmal.
>> Another face of Rashoran, then?

> Possibly. Or of Eurmal. Or of Ratslaff. Or a prior Gbaji.....

I wonder whether Gbaji and Rashoran can be separated.

Eurmal or Ratslaff as founders of civilization sort of boggles the mind. (or Glorantha...) Even more so as "husband".

>> Does this mean that the elves retain memories of the Feldichi?

> I think it does. The dwarves certainly do. They forget nothing!

Except when their harddisks get damaged, like the implosion of the Spike.

And it begs the question how well those two races overcome the forgetting that destruction (or rather un-recation) by Chaos brings.

>>> And the Feldichi were neither men nor gods.
>> They appear to be strangely secluded, too. The Vingkotlings (who
>> fought about everyone within 2000 miles distance from Kero Fin but
>> the Kralori) have lots of mythical battles against dwarfen, beast
>> and elf things from that direction, but no sign of interaction
>> with the Feldichi. Unless...

> Could just be that story hasn't been told yet.
> Never make a conclusion in Glorantha that something didn't
> happen simply because no story currently exists.

I prefer that most of the story hasn't been told for a reason.

The Vingkotlings may have inherited at least five traditions that were alien to the Orlanthi: the Hyaloring riding tradition through Beren, another (possibly Praxian) riding tradition through Ulanin, and - in the neighborhood of Dorastor - three untold traditions through Kastwall Five, Goralf Brown and Porscriptor the Cannibal. Porscriptor at least sounds unfriendly.

> Then again, you could be right.

Not that I want to be right in this instance...

> It could be that the Feldichi are the original ogres!
> (Or it might not!!!)

There's always Androgeus...