Do Ducks have cavalry?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_jDe4b86nKHmi7-QW_7qCKY1mLNNHcCh-FLBPRspLmB6wRNtvrbfsV4un49Ppb>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:50:31 -0000

Serious question. Do the ducks of the Durulz Valley possess mounted warriors? [Or have they done so at any point in history?] I don't necessarily mean as a common expression of arms, but maybe as a small heroband.

The image of a durulz lancer riding some beast is innately appealing to me; and there are various good reasons as to why some ducks might domesticate/subdue beasts and use them in war.

The problem is 'what'. Amphibious creatures spring to mind. But by their vary names and natures, they can be problematic. For example, I've done giant beavers in the past [pack it in], but I wasn't being entirely serious; and 'beaver' is probably a no-go area. Giant otters are a possibility. Crocodiles might seem be a bit *too* vicious to me. I've tried hippos elsewhere.

I've looked through the Rooster, and Rick and Sandy's encounters in TotRM#19, and I'm really, really taken by the idea of Giant Swamp Toads.

A mount that jumps rather than just swims/walks is novel [no, I've ruled out the nasobeme], particularly if there's a duck on its back. There is some element of duckishness about it; trying to catch and train dangerous giant toads is something I could imagine ducks doing.

Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and sketch some ideas. This is meant in as much seriousness as you can manage with ducks. Swamp Toads are my favourite, but I thought I'd ask for general opinions, or if there was to be some new Gloranthan chimera...

Best,

Stew.