Re: Do Ducks have cavalry?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_XIbbJ1ue3PUuCab-OepYe4bVYqz8cqo2WWFBg_y7bRXVKOkG0gEcRy5AfjV1SH4j6auUejC>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:05:23 -0800

YGWV Stewart Stansfield wrote:

> Serious question.

Sorry. This is about ducks. There's no serious questions or answers about ducks. :-D

> Do the ducks of the Durulz Valley possess mounted
> warriors? [Or have they done so at any point in history?] I don't
> necessarily mean as a common expression of arms, but maybe as a small
> heroband.

Anything can occur within a heroband.

> The image of a durulz lancer riding some beast is innately appealing to
> me;

Yes, made me LoL too.

> and there are various good reasons as to why some ducks might
> domesticate/subdue beasts and use them in war.

 "Hey guys, we don't look silly enough walking around with this ill
fitting armor. Let's ride too!"

> The problem is 'what'.

I think that ostritches might be pretty funny.

> Amphibious creatures spring to mind. But by

OK, swimming ostritches.

> their vary names and natures, they can be problematic. For example,
> I've done giant beavers in the past [pack it in], but I wasn't being
> entirely serious; and 'beaver' is probably a no-go area. Giant otters
> are a possibility. Crocodiles might seem be a bit *too* vicious to me.
> I've tried hippos elsewhere.

 Beavers, hippos. I am glad to see you're in the right spirit here, Stewart!

> I've looked through the Rooster, and Rick and Sandy's encounters in
> TotRM#19, and I'm really, really taken by the idea of Giant Swamp Toads.

  Proof, you ARE n the right spirit here.

> A mount that jumps rather than just swims/walks is novel [no, I've
> ruled out the nasobeme], particularly if there's a duck on its back.
> There is some element of duckishness about it; trying to catch and
> train dangerous giant toads is something I could imagine ducks doing.
 "Get them when they're tadpoles to train them to the saddle properly."
> Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and sketch some ideas. This is meant in
> as much seriousness as you can manage with ducks.

Is zero much?

> Swamp Toads are my
> favourite, but I thought I'd ask for general opinions, or if there was
> to be some new Gloranthan chimera...

 How about ostritch toads?

J All one big :-D

--