Re: The many names of Humakt

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_-VZWf3XnkGcRNFY8f5Q3LdxMao62hI3qBIuIuE9pIX7ltIEAxzdBkAuWMjgO2M_Elf3y>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:00:11 -0000

> > EMGARVU
> > Emgarvu is the keeper of the Dead, Bringer of Death, Keen Edge of War,
> > Slayer of Men, and the Taker of Breath. This was his name as
> > worshiped by the Spolites,
>
> The Pelandan name for Humakt must be Hum'akt, as ak means death in
> Pelandan (see ILH 2).

Humakt (or Hum'akt) is a recognized public name for the god - especially when Emgarvu cultists are speaking to people outside of the local cult. I suspect that for Emgarvu cultists, Humakt is a title not a name.

> Emgarvu does not look like a Pelandan name. Is
> Spolite a very different language from Pelandan? The Carmanian equation
> of Spolite with Pelandan, suggests they are the same language (or,
> perhaps, mere dialects of each other). Or did the Spolites have a
> different sacred language for their deities?

Emgarvu is the sacred name of the god as known by the Spolites. It is  the name the local god itself insisted it be called.

This sort of multiple name phenomena exists throughout Glorantha - just as most Romans were convinced that Jupiter was their name for the same god the Greeks called Zeus (although they referred to the god as "Jupiter" when they sacrificed to Him on the Capitoline Hill). Most Carmanians in the late Second Age understood Emgarvu to be the same god the EWF called "Humakt" and the Talastarings called "Enbaktavar".  This god is often called "Humakt" or "Hum'akt" (in the Pelandan dialect) in public - but in sacred ceremonies he is called by his true name "Emgarvu".

Same thing is true with Orlanth. The Talastarings know their various storm and ram gods are aspects or children of the Great God the Heortling missionaries called "Orlanth" - and indeed, the Talastarings usually call him that as well. But in certain places and certain ceremonies, he is called "Viskuranth" or "Viskuvanth" - which signifies that he is the Orlanth of Top of the World (aka Mount Visku) and not Kero Fin. In short, he is "their" Orlanth.

Jeff

Jeff