Re: Written Western languages

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_e0SewEUSYTQG6ESdvxNEi1-t-3hWl872h1MNJZmbL2I-4-5ux4NORY9sYKyzA8pSKl>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:06:43 +1100

On 19/12/2007, rurik_runespear <andrewlemery_at_fK9H9WNoMh8KFJTs2vgIOUIVHGhHTUjzCF988Xma0t7WciuIiGvRlbloPeNFsQLZcMbZjXZSoq-NzMydWjmcexY.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I like this. I imagine sometimes secrets may be encoded in the text
> that adorns architecture and art as well, similiar to the codes/keys
> to Grimoires. Would that be likely?

I really like the idea that the architecture may be the grimoire!

A series of chambers in a purpose-built structure at a school might contain the text of a grimoire and prepared portals-of-power for the preperation of foci. This might make the grimoire more permanent, prevents physical theft of magical lore (while neccessitating more access-based security), and might enhance the prestige of school through "useful" conspicuous consumption.

Codes, traps, and illustrations could comprise part of the protections of such a structure, as well as hagiographical commentary on the founders or associated saints. Relics and remains could even be incorporated to provide benefits to those seeking transit to the essence planes and adding to the reverential quality of the chambers.

I have an image of a tutor showing some young apprentices a blank-walled chamber and saying "With the Grace of the Invisible, you could one day mark these walls..."

Regards,

--
John Machin