Re: Do(es) (the) Argrath(s) have a rune?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_ha90rS2xN2mgJymJGLk4REUMvSc2xfc_MOfBhQofatsmU3b38J82aovF7Y6AM>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:45:50 -0000

Thanks for the answer, Greg--I'll have a play and see what looks fun.

[Greg, he ask on the Fûrinkazan no hata]:

This was the war-banner of the 16th century samurai warlord, Takeda Shingen. In popular art, it's famously depicted in Kurosawa's KAGEMUSHA (1980). Shingen identified himself with the ideographs, which referenced a passage in the seventh chapter of Sun Tzu's THE ART OF WAR: swift as the wind, still as the forest, fierce as the fire, immovable as the mountain. In KAGEMUSHA, four of Shingen's famous Twenty-Four Generals were--for aesthetic reasons--each associated with one of the elements, if I recall (I always did like Yamagata Masakage...).

[I'm no sinologue, but the phraseology with regard to the banner
naturally tends to be invigorating and poetic. My copy of Sun Tzu in translation gives the more workmanlike: "Thus, advancing at pace, such an army is like the wind; slow and majestic, it is like the forest; invading and plundering, it is like the fire; sedentary, it is like a mountain," for the source text.

Actually, Sun Tzu lists six similes; the last two are "unpredicatable, it is like a shadow; moving, it is like lightning and thunder." I quite like those. Brings to mind a certain Johnny who had six rather prominent elemental associations himself...]

Stew.