Re: Consequence when breaking the caste taboo's in rokari society

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_R4Y7TYnbpB1TI6BcK2L8TxZLX4zU7qxpiNOT_aSTkoP6M4YXrn4KmI8BfXMJb_tXwgM>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:25:30 -0000

YGWV. The main disincentive is that he'll get punished by the religious authorities. (It's a religious crime - of course, if he uses the sword on someone, it might also be a secular one). And being punished by the religious authorities can be rather painful.

Having said that, if you do get widespread immorality in an area, there are likely to be some negative consequences for the community in question. The Invisible God does not interact with mortals quite as much as the likes of Orlanth, but that's not to say that he does not, on occasion, send, oh... plagues of boils, locusts, that kind of thing. Or just crappy harvests.

> In our own world peasants were not allowed to carry swords because
> the rebellions the peasants have caused through the history. But how
> is this in Glorantha? Does this kind of an action really angers the
> Invisible God, or is it just a rule made by the church to avoid
> possible peasant uprisings? Do the peasants of Seshnela respect this
> rule and is it sacred for them so that they don't even think about
> carrying a sword or thinking hiding swords to some woods waiting for
> bad times?

There's a piece about this in the upcoming ('next year') MotW2: Kingdom of the Flamesword. A loyal Rokari peasant explains why he's happy to be a peasant, and the fact that nobody makes him carry swords is part of his rationale. Of course, not all peasants are good Rokari...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic