Re: A few Sartar questions

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_t26c-AzucKiANEG9y029AJXlnxIDl3CFSFUWdBmJ0d_NxGWgD7FQRd4tIKO1osEvHF9>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 23:03:00 -0000

[Adept
> > I've been reading 'History of the Heortling Peoples'.
> > It seems that Sartar was the enemy of Belintar,
> > and that he at least
> > expected his family to follow this line.

[Greg]
> "Enemy" almost seems too harsh for me. Sartar was a hard-core
> traditionalist, and for that reason did not agree with Belintar.
>
> Can you cite a reference on that for me?

History of the Heortling Peoples p.87

"Sartar was an heir to the Hendriking "old ways". He went to Dragon Pass for this purpowe, with a long-term plan to go to the homeland (or for his descendants to do so) and rescue them from the oppression of Belintar."

Sartar was a peaceful man for a Hero, but that sounds pretty antagonistic, with the descendants explicitly mentioned. Possibly I'm reading too much into it though.

[Adept]
> > Considering the way the
> > Heortlings hold grudges, and that Sartar is the wyter of the royal
> > family and the whole kingdom this doesn't seem likely to change.

[Greg]
> Your comments seem to imply a disassociation between the two nations
> that is far more harsh than I have envisioned.

I'm glad to hear it. It's 1601 ST in my game, and Belintar's agents are looking into ways to help Sartar against the Empire.

> > What was the relationship like in 1600? Did Belintar aid Sartar
> > against the Empire? I expect He did, but how open was this help,
> > and did the bad relationships hurt any attempted cooperation.
>
> Yes, he helped. I think it was largely under the table. I don't
> think there was a difficulty in helping or accepting help, as the
> danger of the approaching empire was quite apparent to all involved.

I'm getting the impression that the antagonism towards Belintar is motly in the past. Those who stayed, have learned to appreciate the Pharaoh, and those who left are now proud of their new lands. Besides the Sartarites have kinship ties to Heortland, and their relatives don't seem to be suffering cruel bondage, I shold think.

>> Sartar was presumably a traditional Heortling high king,
>
> Except he wasn't a great warrior, as most of them have been.

Indeed, I almost forgot this. What are his descendants like. Are they great magicians more than fighters, like their ancestor. Sartar was afterall the "Warlord of the Quivini", as are the later princes. They also seem to lead battles a lot. They have to be good generals, even if they aren't heroic warriors.

> > as well as
> > having his own heroic powers of transformation and change. He
> > supposed to have inheritable heroic powers that the princes of
> > Sartar
> > displayed.
>
> Reference?

I'm thinking about things said on this list earlier. I'm pretty sure there was talk about inherited magic in the line of Sartar, and this being a feat only a few orlanthi Heroes have managed. I'll try to look it up.

> I have never envisioned Sartar's powers to be warlike. He had the
> ability to coordinate people, to build things, _to_organize_.

That's got to be useful in war, especially since one has to keep warbands and clans committed and working together.

> > Is he leading the battle
> > like a general protected by his bodyguard, or is he flying in the
> > air born by a great wind?
>
> Surrounded by his swordthanes.

Thanks, this helps. So Prince Salinarg is probably a 10w - 10w2 in personal combat skills, but splendedly equipped, and protected by his household and bodyguard.

Thank you again Greg, this was great!

  -Adept