Re: Consequence when breaking the caste taboo's in rokari society

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_y_ckpdAB40PsjqWiAqfHQqJAbzdxJHQrO77APjMx44sjoIhTANMbrKcJBua8C5WiBv>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:59:16 +1100

> I don't think anyone is suggesting that the farmer caste is forbidden
> from fighting even in Seshnela. We know there is a ban on carrying
> and using swords. We also know that the farmer caste includes some
> sort of bonded peasantry and free craftsmen. It probably includes
> some free peasantry as well but maybe not. I'm suggesting there is
> a significant difference in attitude towards a freeman carrying a
> weapon than a bonded peasant doing the same. An obvious gray area
> is the point at which a knife becomes a sword.

Is this because of the symbolic (and thus mystical) importance of this particular weapon, as well as the military (on the part of the upper class) or economic (on the part of the farming class) disincentives?

I'm tolerably versed on the (Earthly) historical precedents, but I am curious if there is anything specifically Gloranthan about these restrictions. I'd also be curious about the rules for carrying the artefacts of different castes in other Malkioni societies - I could imagine that under one interpretation the Loskalmi would bring social pressures that might make the Rokari look moderate to bear on those who pretend to a caste that they have not properly earned.

--
John Machin