Re: Gloranthan Illusion...

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_X73QfiQJ96pNuWTCLqAgrDGULn57K4D3r47iVzcbJe20e4g30-g0yamnpwPWpbZhjqnsE>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:50:12 -0000

> Is it a feature of Gloranthan metaphysics that illusions are
temporary
> realities, or are they just illusions? I know this is a very
runequest-
> centric/rules-lawyer-ly quibble, but I am contemplating the possible
> uses of illusion by lunar priests on the battlefield and am
wondering
> if there are any precedents...

Gloranthan illusions have always been "summoned bits of reality" - a "illusionary" sword can cut you, and "illusionary" boulder can crush you.

IIRC, RQ3 Sorcery had five(?) Illusion spells - one for each of the senses. You could make an "illusionary" sword that had no visual component, but did have weight and sharpness, frex.

But there is no "Disbelieve vrs illusion" - if someone conjures up an "illusionary" army, then you see what you see, and feel what you feel (depending on what the spell actually does, of course). you can't just close your mind and think it's not there.

If you want "traditional" illusions, then having the Lunars conjure up just Visual/Audio components are probably what you're looking for.

RR