Lunar afterworld/afterlife after the Moonburst

From: jorganos <joe_at_ANqosqhGQb3DkRJv4J8VsY2Ocd9HnN1CBqKxmKRRkvEtc5XgiGuQASqV6e1ItvQowTGpk7Qg>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:49:54 -0000

Donald:
> Given that Sedenya is a changing goddess I'd go for some significant
> change rather than complete destruction. The Red Moon falls and the
> White Moon (or whatever replaces it) rises. So those who are
> currently in the afterlife on the moon get transferred.

So where are all the heroes and worshippers from the age of Verithurusa?

Or is this "separate Otherworld" the new gamble which brought Sedenya in conflict with Orlanth's compromise lawyers? Previous Sedenyic afterlife settings appear to have been celestial/theist domains not unlike Yelm's (or Shargash's, in the celestial parts of the Underworld).

King of Sartar has the speculative bits about the Invisible Moon to follow the red lunar fallout. Sounds like the material bits taken/broken from the Red Moon, and some magical properties left behind.

I postulate a similar fate for those EWF followers who belonged to the preliminary experiments of creating True Dragons. Those dragons became their afterlife. Removing the physical existence of those dragons has what effect? (Of course, it would help to know what effect joining that dragon had, too...)

> Alternatively they could suffer an immediate rebirth in the mortal
> world, perhaps with some memories of their previous life - a
> generation of Pelorians trying to reconcile the certainties they
> knew with the world as it now is.

Sort of interesting. If I understood the multipart souls thread correctly, a theist person's soul has five to six parts, a Lunar person's soul has seven parts. One of these joins the deity in the afterlife, the rest goes into the recycling process.

Now, the world is made of everything. An uninitiated Heortling youth has a five-parted soul, an essence, and a spirit. Initiation strengthens one of these - usually the theist soul, but possibly the spirit part if joining the Kolating tradition. Esvulari get to strengthen their essences as another option.

Are such peoples' spirits and essences five-parted, too?

> I'm working on the basis that normally people spend a variable
> period of time in the afterlife and are reborn without memories of
> their previous lives. Not that I can recall anything which
> explicitly says this.

Not quite sure about this, but I seem to remember that the stay in the good afterlife is sort of a process of separation of individuality from the soul. Those memories may go into a pool of memories collectively held by the "ancestors" (who are basically all deceased people somehow kin to your lineage predecessors, and not necessarily direct ancestors of you personally).