Re: [Trader Princes] Info on Vorlan

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_Am8F83ogaYbz65tGR9X7ehef_aeBUKmMglGrtm2sAFgMtAQgQnyFzZWNhbuyy9rupS>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:33:11 -0000

If we take the "Umathson" as accurate then he'd obviously be one of Orlanth's brothers. I can't remember accurately they are numbered in the myths, but if you consider that:

  1. he's a spirit, not a god
  2. he did not hang around dragon pass much
  3. his mother was probably not Kero Finn (so a half brother of big O)
  4. he seems to embrace Umath's law of "Nobody can make you do anything" so he probably did not have much interest in Orlanth's clan or tribe.

Then I can see why he really does not enter into Orlanthi myth in any substantial way. He was a storm 'out there' in the wilderness somewhere, not helping Orlanth, but not particularly fighting him, and actually not much interacting with him at all. However it is possible that in the early explorations after coming down off the Spike, Orlanth went the direction he did in part to avoid Vorlon?

I admit I sometimes wonder if Vorlon is somehow associated with Vadrus, but aside from the initial V I'm not sure that there is any reason to think that. Certainly Vadrus is not recorded as having chummed around with a brother, at least that I've seen. But with the V showing up in Vadrus, Valind, Vorlan, and Vinga, I can't help but think that the initial 'V' somehow indicates outsider status, someone who does not follow the rules (Vinga eventually managed to change the rules, and become an insider of sorts, of course).