Re: Orlanth's High Holy Day... in Pavis!

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_DFZj2-Z-sp7bsJQgPmy0yzhC3OYHzeSPUQw-3ahN5omfpoj4m04Y2WHnZPXBVgZaSiqOTC6>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:46:52 -0700

xavierllobet wrote:

> Hi and thank you all for your replies. However, these have raised more
> questions in my mind:
>
> > This is a really important point. Orlanth is a very important god to
> > the 20,000 farmers of Pavis County - he brings the seasonal rain that
> > makes agriculture possible.
>
> Yes, but...
> - doesn't Ernalda bless their crops anyway?

Sure, but the best blessing is when it rains too. This is the cult of Ernalda and Orlanth, and also of Orlanth & Ernalda.

> - and, even if they reenact the Orlanth-Aroka-Heler myth, can't they
> get together some time earlier or later to do another heroquest?

It need not be the Aroka myth for this public, annual ceremony. There are many rain myths from the rain god. And as a "scheduled" annual rite, everyone is involved, so maybe they don't want to do something as dangerous as the Aroka myth.

> In
> KoDP I managed to do two HQ a year (OK, I admit that I saved the game
> every time!) ;-) But, with a little organisation it would be
> achievable... I guess.

Anything is possible, especially with YGWV. But maybe people want to live normal lives without the danger of a HQ gone wrong to complicate the already-difficult situation.

> - besides, the Air Temple of Pavis can't be the only Orlanth temple in
> the County, right?

I believe this began as a query for the high holy day. At the High Holy Day as many people as possible gather together. The more people that are present, the easier the rite is to do and is more likely to get good results.
But temples--defined as a place where a priest is permanently present and living in the proper manner for one (ie, with his household of servants, etc.) -- are far and few between in Prax, even in the upper Pavis valley.

--
    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,