Re: What Mostali Look Like

From: donald_at_hbqALYgB0pzH1YHbtSqGJvDhSSRwiwiydj0CYOwgAyF8CTa2R1fmF-QbidpFYQv-XXZ1G
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:40:56 GMT

In message <83391.76707.qm_at_cPMeqrOiF2fHVmFv_PPXxoZ632jq573tta5j3psJGS5WIfMAl6LBbs299s48curUrz3D4RgSnIRb4NfSoAo2wQODti9dsB-v9EyH_CdRpCZynQ.yahoo.invalid> Felix Felix writes:

> Donald Oddy wrote:
> You should also bear in mind that the man rune doesn't represent human.
> It represents beings which can stand upright and have intelligence.
> What's perfect to a Mostali may seem very different to us.
>
>OK, firstly, is that statement right-are there any other races, apart
>from humans associated only with the man rune? I can't think of any
>(but that doesn't mean anything..).

Is it true that humans are associated only with the man rune? Most things have two runes. I can't recall anything which associates any runes with humans as a group.

Even if true is that a human classification error? A troll would probably assign the runes man and light to humans.

There was probably a mythical being that was the embodiment of the man rune but I wouldn't like to bet it was recognisable as human. Most of the single rune beings perished in the God's War.

>And secondly, even if the Man rune is less specific, does it make sense
>that the physical characteristics of this major Elder Race (ageing and
>decay) are fundamentally opposed to what should be their core, runic
>nature? That seems really wrong to me.

What I'm getting at is that what we associate with ageing and decay does not necessarily match what the Mostali think. What we regard as ideal they probably see as signs of immaturity and growth.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/