Re: How best to learn about God Learners

From: Jamallo Kreen <jamallokreen_at_o9WouH6wJh2nJcuMbMnP0pPAND4Km3uzM0rnYF7fRHv_BnxeaNB3Xj7mqavGLU5>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:51:12 -0000

I have two questions deriving from my initial question, the first based on an answer Greg Stafford gave some time ago:

Greg Sez: "How Big Is My God?" (Q from Jonathan O'Dea) - http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/big-god.html

  1. ... Alternately, sometimes collateral worship begins when ambitious mortals "create" a god. This created deity is often a misunderstanding of a greater entity or a single aspect of the deity. ...

Q(1a): How do mortals "create" a god, aside from whatever it is that Heroes of the Red Moon do to make themselves divine? Q(1b): Is that what some of the God Learners were trying to do, and, if so, which particular cult, faction, or heresy of theirs (take your pick of terms) wanted to accomplish that?

(Before proceeding, I cannot resist responding to my own unintentional pun -- it's off-topic, so please let's not go there from here: "Q(1a): How do mortals 'create' a god, aside from whatever it is that Heroes of the Red Moon do to make themselves divine? A: They put on fat suits and appear in a movie opposite Christopher Walken." Now that I have got *that* out of my system, let us please return to our sheep.)

Q(1a): How do mortals "create" a god, aside from whatever it is that Heroes of the Red Moon do to make themselves divine? Q(1b): Is that what some of the God Learners were trying to do, and, if so, which particular cult, faction, or heresy of theirs (take your pick of terms) wanted to accomplish that?

Q Number Two: Who were/are "the Dead Gods" whose crowns sometimes appear on mountain tops, and can mortals "seize" their divinity? (In D&D this could occur in several methods, one or more of which a DM may authorize, such as: by obtaining some mysterious "thing" from their actual, physical corpses floating in the Astral Plane; or assuming their name and obtaining dedicated or fanatical worship; or, as my guy is trying to do, finding a vacant divine "portfolio," questing to reach a very high character level and then acquiring divine status because an Overpower -- the entity to whom all of the Deities in a world defer -- decides that *someone* needs to take over the portfolio, so it might as well be the high-level mortal who actually wants it -- and woe betide him for his foolishness!)