Re: Exclusive Worship

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_h6JMYD2QnjBpdHTyVOmpp4Tl6soabYA-wK0PqEQJwJMc-guFc6e5-V1U29xTWgrzJwg9D>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:20:25 -0000

> >If your definition of "infiltration" means that the spy is
actually
> >worshipping the god whose cult he infiltrated, then there are
other
> >dangers, like "going native" and leaving your previous god.
>
> I thought that was pretty obvious from my discussing time
commitments
> and worship.

Just checking - some people might have other ideas about wehat the time committments are for. I just want to make sure that I'm addressing the correct debate :-)

>dangers which would be enough to deter any
> reasonable person....but the suggestion was that PCs would be trying
> it.

Well, yeah. Safe, Sane Reasonable... PCs rarely behave his way (I've seen the most elaborate plans put in place (complete with taking out the guards, holding someone hostage, etc) just for the PCs to fill out absolutely innocuous paperwork in a Lunar office...

> Not that huge. Learn the secrets of the myth and find ways to derail
> the HQ, possibly with outside help. The Lunars do that on a regular
> basis if more subtly than the GodLearners did.

I wouldn't say that they do it "regularly", and the people that do it are in the Superhero category (often of the -eel variety), with background support.

> Only if you use a definition of "infiltrating" which involves faking
> a key part of the job description.

Well, a key part of the job description in any worship is to be sincerely interested in the well-being of the worshipped being...

Rather like trying to infiltrate
> a school without interacting with children.

Easy, just be an "administrator" :-)

Anyway, from http://www.answers.com/topic/infiltrate?cat=health (hey, it was the first googfle result):

Infiltrate
1.

  1. To pass (troops, for example) surreptitiously into enemy-held territory.
  2. To penetrate with hostile intent: infiltrate enemy lines; terrorists that had infiltrated the country.
  3. To enter or take up positions in gradually or surreptitiously, as for purposes of espionage or takeover: infiltrated key government agencies with spies.

(two more definitions regarding chemical processes excised).

The "hostile intent" in 1b is my primary use of the word.

Normal worship of a god assumes that you are sincerely interested in following the God's path. The use of the word "infiltrating" indicates that the hero *doesn't* have the best interest of the "infiltrated" god at heart - he has ulterior motives. The Infiltrator is lying about his motives in joining the cult (he *will* be asked as part of his initiation), and lying to the god that his worship is sincere.

RR