Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_l6FyMhDCs3mpywA4xhcUqXfPkmyZUoyI38lXtChh1mILTvZtYXf4YB69rOAry5E-OLPX8>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:07:13 -0700

>> And this discussion is exactly why that word (which by the way several
>> medieval Icelandic scholars including Jesse Byock dispute that
>> interpretation) won't appear in "Cults of Sartar".

Who cares what medieval Icelandic scholars think about a word that is uniquely Gloranthan? "Gyrda" has no real-world meaning, so why do we care what they think?

While I support the author's and editors decision to not use a word; since the word in question A) has no real-world usage and B) has been in use in Glorantha since 2000, why discard it? Simply becaues it has no real-world derivation? Whither "tula" then? "Orlanth" or "Ernalda" or "Humakt"?

The Sartarite languiage as seen in Glorantha has elements of Icelandic, Saxon, Norse, Welsh, and made-up words as well. There's no need to discard a perfectly good word simply because there is real-world confusion about a word that is somewhat similar.

In the words of Nick Brookes, a naff retcon.

RR