Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_QTG_eUm0B1o21cnKnHKm2ED-uSagK1OOB_kY8Vz9C9nVpc-Pi4PGZOGPlEAhw7U>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

Well, actually, 'gyrda' has at least three RW meanings that I found. Not that that stops people coming up with another, Gloranthan meaning if they want one. If people really like the word, it'll get taken up. I'm sure that some campaigns have been using it for years.

I (who started the thread) just hadn't seen it before. I was curious from whence it came, as the meanings that I'd been able to find couldn't possibly have any connection with being a priestess or god-talker. 'Gyda', or a similar word (as mentioned by one of our Finnish correspondents) was what was actually meant, apparently. Variant spellings seem to abound! :-)

Alison