Re: Cults of Sartar - status report

From: L C <lightcastle_at_9FEUmg6CGlxzTpcIocldzgdJ_j1J3z2qQb8ix06_lyEIEr4m7p0Zyu0lrpaQmnP_>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:08:35 -0400

continuum2008 wrote:

> The rules do cover shamans and wizards very well also.

The HQ2 rules, or are you speaking specifically of Cults of Sartar?

> There are no mechanical difference in the rules for the different
magic systems. No special
> rules or anything like that.

I like that.

> Divine Magic users use Rune Affinities as direct abilities not just
augments.
> An affinity is something you are.
> Spirit Magic users have spirits tied to runes that they can use as
direct abilities not just
> augments.
> A spirit is something you have.
> Wizards cast specifically named spells either as direct abilities or
augment.
> A spell is something you know.

That sounds good, although I am sure I will want to see the details. :)

> Narratively there are differences between three systems which then
affects the mechanics
> to a certain extent.

Which is really the case in all abilities unless something has drastically changed in the rule set.

> Affinities are often Broad Abilities and cover a wide remit. Broad
abilities have a higher
> difficulty rating. Affinities are split down into Feats that tighten
their function more.

> Spirits are more versatile and often have ambiguous uses. They can be
very useful in the
> right conditions though at other times they could be rendered
useless. Charms are
> associated with spirits and have a tighter use.
>
> Spells have a very tight function and do exactly as they are written.
It is hard to use
> outside their remit as they are not very adaptable. Grimoires are the
collection of spells
> that are tied to a particular rune. As a wizard get more powerful
they may discover more
> spells.

Nice. That's really similar to how I recast it myself, so it can only make me happy.

I will avoid rule-questions here about the way levels of commitment (initate vs devotee vs disciple/practitioner vs shaman/wizard vs magus) play into this.

Concerning Cults of Sartar itself, is it Divine magic focused or are we going to see more of how the different types of magic interact, since most people are actually mixed?

LC