Re: "Don't mention the gyrda!"

From: Sam Elliot <SamLElliot_at_myADvR9P_ljmf9tIFs3s5QPPsOlDPfIJukt_0SIsy4dpo7GwxJ1sUyvcN-zlbIbaI>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:55:23 -0300

Good grief!
I'm inclined to agree with most of what John says but just the need for it is seriously switching me off this particular game. Why can't Alison & co. have a discussion about a word without everyone wading in and putting the world to rights?
Bottom line, it's just silly people in pointy hats zapping eachother with fireballs. Or developments thereof.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM, L C <lightcastle_at_zYXT_mmetAbtxG0YnXVBQulcb1U-XfI3yqDXQzNLVste0sbHsmjKtMPoOTo1d8yXRQYh_fLxexkQ1T5a.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> John Hughes wrote:
>> "Don't mention the gyrda!" is of course the latest variant on a
>> time-honoured Gloranthan adage, "Don't mention the women".

This coming from an Ossie. What is the world coming to?

>> While KISS is a noble goal in design, meaningful talk about its

I haven't the foggiest idea what KISS means and if I'm not mistaken, it was introduced as part of an argument about the use of jargon. Perhaps this is illustrative.

>> If I wanted flavourless, juvenile generic boys-own fantasy, I have
>> plenty of choices, many with much better support than Glorantha. I

With the sort of discussion going on here (John's comments aside - at least they are always worth a read), I'm looking seriously at juvenile generic boys-own fantasy as a relaxing, unassuming alternative.

>> could always port the ducks ... Glorantha may be an eighties ghetto,
>> but its a wonderful, flawed, idiosyncratic and deeply detailed ghetto
>> that I love. Mostly.
>
> I don't even consider it an 80s ghetto. It might be a ghetto of some
> sort, but I find little that is specifically 80s about it.

No?
Does "Hyrdy Gyrdy Mushroom Man" not ring any bells? Or is that too British a reference?

[What is very eighties about it to me is that in the eighties I was a teenager. Everyone around was having existential (excuse my spelling if it is wrong, I live in Foreign now) crises like this one. Ya-a-a-a-awn]

>> If we want to implement KISS thoroughly, may I suggest a few equally

See, I just get an image of Humakti all in black and white make-up.

>> * the incredibly convoluted magic realms system, which adds very
>> little to actual play.
>
> *nod*

I agree too. Add concentration and misapplied worship.

> Since the three-world system and the fact individual powerful entities
> having "true" and "misapplied" ways of worship is supposedly important
> in some storyline way, I still hope that gets discussed some day.

I hope it doesn't. Zap people with lightning, throw javelins a mile, find Another Way. See, that stuff is fun. But "You're not as powerful as you'd like to be because you're doing it all wrong" - sounds like a laugh!

>> Techy? You bet.

Must be all the sunshine.
(NB I think you meant tetchy, John? Techy would be if you'd written it all in machine code; now that'd be very eighties.)

On the positive side, this discussion sent me back to TR wherein I learnt that John "...quite likes pointy suede boots."

I hope I am helping to improve the tone of this particular discussion.

Sam.