Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: Grimmund <grimmund_at_m5dnJ0QnZoh-5YEB-hW-iygvyW4vsi3APVgCnYM-b5EfGJvEBCi_Eee2_HeUOsK7thi>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:36:10 -0500

Small correction, probably way late in the game.

That little funny looking d character -> ð is an eth, pronounced /th/.

The related Old English character is an ash, looks something like a crooked y, the source of all those "ye old shoppe" signs, which were originally an ash, and mistaken by moderns as a y. Both are sometimes voiced and sometimes voiceless, and seem to be used interchangeable, at least in Old English.

> 'fem. gyðja = goddess and priestess'

gythja

> (Like goði is both god and priest)

gothi

Grimmund

--
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have
to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.