Re: "Don't mention the gyrda!"

From: donald_at_mxu_4A4I6rVyDpmqF0I2n5i9KDwyQy7mUELZ3wdkN43j6xthto6qMq9uG97afuRTsfRWL
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:04:52 GMT

In message <e45ee9e70807220905m2d1b4fcfgfc2df6a88986b778_at_TEqGd8rgyc7EFPfwmtftYZ8EGzVKHeS4QwxHHACDrZ2zQ4Pf8s8FS5lB7DgK86g4gUO_7LtgEvF5DEAd57EStnEARDoz8xBkyIFG_uOpmUpkJKZRAM6A9YpqMCRq9TSFuyP0lg0.yahoo.invalid> "Nick Eden" writes:

>>To be consistent godar should also be dropped. God-talker, with the
>>feminine goddess-talker, are accurate and easier to understand. No
>>ideological element here just improving communication.
>
>While I agree entirely, does Godar/Gyrda allow for a male preist of a
>female diety?

It could if we wanted it to. Whatever language scholars think about the RW use of the words when we write in Glorantha we define their meaning. I deliberately avoided ressurecting the Vinga/Nandan issue. Is a male Helering a godar while a female one a gyrda? Probably. But is Heler male or female? If neither or both do we need another word? I'd probably use both god-talker and goddess-talker at random.

God-talker, being an English translation, can also be used for other theistic religions such as Dara Happa. If we use godar/gyrda for Heortlings we need to find/invent an another term for the same function which fits the Dara Happen culture. And another for the Rinliddi, etc. - to the point of madness.

OK, I might vary the name for the Rinliddi position to goddess-singer on the grounds that the Rinliddi use song for most things (in my Glorantha) but I don't want to be bothered with inventing new words and I'm not sure I'd bother learning them if someone else did.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/