Statuary

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_9-ap-RCgtkYxHOdGhO59PTK6TTp7Ug4qko_EHhx3HTKIxxsdEmBI6U_rc73L7vwi->
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:47:43 -0700

YGWV
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_oJJKIX_9FoUfjUac0Do8FYBphRJ8CkaZdEgByyw3vAj0NSSNUUkidxZI7KnZq2prlBzLe1XMHW1NJdk.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> While in London, I went and saw the Hadrian exhibit at the British
> Museum, which gave me some wonderful visual inspirations. Although I
> wonder who carved the new statue of the Red Emperor that looms over
> the Founders Market?

I would remind everyone that carving images and idols is a time-honored tradition, and that dedicated artists will naturally imbue the stone, wood or water with a touch of the entity being honored. "Carving" here means any form or creation, for chisel and mallet is one way, but statues have been drawn from stone or even the air by people singing, dancing, fighting or making love.
Other statues are beings "frozen" into that state, perhaps by being conquered (temple guardians) or by the sheer magnificence of their magic (Sedenya left a moonstone image of herself, double life size, after her Great Blessing in Raibanth, just before her ascent as the Red Moon. She walked away, but left that part of herself behind.) Some statues make themselves, like the monstrous Lodril and Oria that are worshipped in Dakortas.
Some, like the Great Raiba in Raibanth, are the living entity itself!

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer