Re: Demonization and Inclusiveness

From: jorganos <joe_at_Y1fXOGezhLhK1IVLoLhQu6L60GqTRer8RZS7rYsE6a0lRhl6F_3H2y_MuFZW90k8Z3kA8hzC>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:45:15 -0000

Terra Incognita:

> In recent thread about Seshnela and Monotheism, Greg put some about
> the term "demonization" with special meaning.
> Of course, Spolites were hated and treated as evil from neighborhoods.

The western method of demonization makes an opponent vulnerable to anti-demon magics. IMO, by their association with forces of darkness and destruction, the Spolites qualify already, without anyone having to undergo that ritual.

> But in other words, I am not sure such total condemnation to enemy
> is required / used by polytheists of Glorantha like Orlanthi,
> such absolute concept of Good/Evil is something closer to
> monotheistic idea, in my personal view.

The Orlanthi make use of "Summons of Evil", which has a somewhat similar mind-set about enemies. Like with demonization, this both defines and strengthens the enemy.

> Joerg:
> >The Entekosiad shows a sequence of dominant cultures in Pelanda, which
> >could have been experienced by indigenous cultural memory due to the
> >generally inclusive nature of the Pelandans. All of those cycles
> >correspond to certain Ages of the World, which appear to defy the
> >simultanity of myths postulated in another recent thread.

> I assume this is Lunar Way, inclusive to contradictions.
> I am not sure such inclusiveness to inconsistency (and illumination)
> is derived from Pelandan Culture.

IMO the Jernotian way goes a long way to define Sedenya's teachings.

Long enough that Valare Addi had sufficient reason to identify Rufelza with Entekos before being sent on that course of heroquests (IIRC, again).