Re: Resistance of Time

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_8jADxj08zPlAPa_BxZMn1x5geYD_aGcm9fvQmgW3fd4IDPzi2KIdRg-IgcnFEsUXZo38gLLl>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:06:59 +0000

"Gianfranco Geroldi" <giangero_at_NkIQMJ6BXJGn92Z4uTku6qkeXXc2q9hr1K3jdfEWRiyUHNw6hKwiObn9YVQ8C1zOS5piuSCuQ0El3tzH.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>The issue is: how can a hero defeat the effects of Time in
>Glorantha? (just for himself, let's start easy!)

Are you familiar with the description of the Sunstop from 'Cults of Terror'? The sun stopped in the sky and, if I understand correctly, Time effectively ceased for an indeterminate period. (Which, to the participants, felt like about a day. *g* ).

Gradually, as described by Orlanthi observers, the strands of Arachne Solara's Web appeared in the sky, tugging on the Sun and trying to pull it back into its regular motion. Eventually they succeeded, although some people thought the Sun didn't move the same way it had before, and its light was different somehow.

During that period of non-Time the Great Compromise was suspended and a new Great God was able to be born and walk the earth. (Again, this is my interpretation of how the Orlanthi see the event. Other cultures have different views.)

Of course, the Sunstop implies that at least once in Gloranthan history people have been able to beat that 19W16 resistance Greg mentioned - and while it did need simultaneous rituals all over the world all culminating on the same day (and what are the odds of that?), it's also true that the population of Glorantha was much lower in the First Age than the Third, so the actual number of people involved was probably only a few tens of thousands. *g*

Stephen